Each season of the year has its charm and, however cold it may be, winter is no exception. Winter sunlight is one of the most beautiful of the year, not to mention that snow has the property of turning any landscape into an unforgettable postcard. Traveling during this season represents a totally different experience, especially for those who enjoy skiing or ice skating.
Most people usually vacation in summer, either because it is the time of year when they have free days or because they prefer this climate to walk. However, there are destinations that during winter increase their charm and attractions, offering an unforgettable experience. This post is dedicated to those places, so if you are planning your next trip, we invite you to find out which are the best cities to visit in winter.
Steps to follow:
1. Let”s start with the European continent, where Prague stands out as one of the best cities to visit in winter. The capital of the Czech Republic seems straight out of a fairy tale, being also one of the most romantic destinations to meet as a couple. In winter Prague wears its red roofs with white snow, offering one of the best views in Europe during this season.
The light of the gas lamps, its frost-covered stone streets and its medieval architecture highlight the charm of this magical city during the coldest season of the year. If you dare to visit Prague in winter, you cannot miss the different Christmas markets that take place in the city during the month of December. So, don”t forget to read our article about what to see in Prague and get to know all its attractions. Oh, and don”t forget to book a hotel!
2. Visiting Salzburg in Austria during the winter is like starring in a Christmas movie. This city is part of the list of the best cities to visit in winter, but preferably during the month of December, when many choirs of Christmas carols roam the city performing free tunes in exchange for an unforgettable atmosphere to celebrate the Christmas holidays.
Be sure to visit the Panorama Museum, where you can find an exhibition of spectacular nativity scenes. A curious fact about this city is that it was the first place in the world where the emblematic Christmas song “Silent Night” was played.
3. Norway is an enchanting destination at all times of the year. However, in this list of the best cities to visit in winter we highlight the city of Tromso. It is the typical postcard of the snowy city with dim lights and many snow-capped mountains, but what makes this place most attractive is that in this destination you can observe the famous northern lights with your own eyes: a natural spectacle without waste than in the company of a Hot chocolate will make you forget that you are in one of the coldest cities in the world. Tromso is a small city, where hotels and accommodations tend to get crowded in winter, so booking in advance will allow you to choose from among the best hotels in Tromso.
4. If adventure tourism is your thing and you are looking to spend a well-deserved vacation on a pair of skis, then Zermatt, in Switzerland, is for you one of the best cities to visit in winter. More than 13 kilometers of slopes make this destination one of the best in the world for skiing and sliding day and night on the adrenaline of the ice. Romantic cabins and many snow-capped mountains wall this city and build a movie atmosphere. At night the atmosphere is also lively, although everything revolves around the sport of skiing, there are many bars and places to warm up with a wine flavored with spices or an authentic Scotch on the rocks. Since it is a very recurring destination in winter, there is usually a high demand for accommodation, don”t leave it until the last minute and book your hotel in Zermatt now.
5. If there is a city that invites you to winter fun, it is Ottawa. This Canadian destination – North America – offers multiple music festivals, exhibitions and outdoor concerts during the months of January and February. But that”s not all; Ottawa”s architecture is one of the most spectacular in the world and offers in winter a landscape worth admiring and setting in memory. Here you can enjoy the Winterlude Festival, one of the largest in the world that offers concerts, ice sculptures and snow slides for a very fun and original tour. Ottawa is also home to the largest ice rink in the world: Rideau Canal. Despite being a large city, the accommodation offer is not very extensive, so it is advisable to be cautious and book a hotel in Ottawa as soon as possible.
6. Scotland provokes to be photographed 365 days a year. But in winter, Edinburgh is one of the best to visit. In the capital of the country you will find the Princess Street Gardens park, which turns into a fairy tale thanks to a large ice rink, a Ferris wheel next to the medieval castle of the city and one of the largest Christmas trees. The view from the top of Arthur”s Seat will take your breath away, as you will be able to observe the imposing city dressed in white: its best splendor. If you want to know a little about the history of this city, do not forget to walk through the Vaults of Edinburgh. Edinburgh offers a wide variety of options when choosing accommodation, so we make it easy for you to choose the best hotel from this list.
7. Finally, if you are looking for a destination to fall in love, ski, eat delicious and spend the most romantic days of your life, you must visit Bariloche. This town located in the Argentine Patagonia, the lowest point in South America, is unforgettable and ideal for a magical honeymoon. Here you will be able to discover the Nahuel Huapi Lake, a mineral water surface of more than 530 square kilometers that connects with Chile. Skiing at Cerro Catedral represents experiencing one of the best adventures at the height of the Andes Mountains. Lamb, wild boar, duck, fondue and the wonderful Argentine meat are some of the typical dishes that you can taste in this place.
The town has many tourist attractions, walks, guides and mountain excursions, even a ferry ride through the emblematic natural lake. The accommodation is another charm, as there are many lodges that are cabins with views of the snowy mountains to witness one of the best sunrises in South America. Take into account if you decide on this place, that here it is winter from July until the end of September.
To round off your experience, don”t forget to choose and book the perfect hotel for you in Patagonia Argentina.
About The Author
VirallyMedia Editorial Staff
Our team of expert writers and researchers are dedicated to bringing you the latest trends, news, and best practices in various fields, including but not limited to business, technology, health, lifestyle, entertainment, and more. We strive to create informative and engaging content that is easy to understand and relevant to your needs.