Contrary to what it may seem, the options for breakfast and snacks for school, snacks for children”s parties or recipes for vegetarian picnics are endless. Maria Blanquer, author of the book “Vegetarian nutrition in childhood”, gives us the keys.
There are infinite vegetarian food options for children that constitute a very good dietary option for both breakfasts and snacks since, regardless of the type of diet followed, in any case and in our environment, children”s breakfasts and snacks can include:
- Fresh fruit (and not juices). Remember that you must always choose water as a drink.
- Whole wheat farinaceous: bread, toast, sugar-free breakfast cereals (corn flakes, puffed rice, muesli).
- Dairy or substitutes: milk, natural yogurt (without added sugars) and, more occasionally, soft or fresh cheese (or vegetable drinks and vegetable yogurts enriched with calcium and without added sugars).
- Water always as a drink.
- Raw or roasted nuts(almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- Dried fruit(raisins, dried apricots, prunes, etc.).
- Vegetables(tomato, carrot sticks, cucumber, baby spinach, roasted pepper strips, etc.)
- Protein foods(such as hummus and other legume pates, etc.).
- Fatty foods(virgin olive oil, nut cream, almond cream, etc.), etc.
BREAKFAST AND OVOLACTEOVEGETARIAN SNACKS FOR SCHOOL
The breakfast and vegetarian snacks for school can be very tasty and appetizing, besides being nutritionally very appropriate. These are some practical, healthy and appetizing ideas:
- Bread sticks, walnuts and apple.
- Pear and hazelnuts.
- Cheese cubes, whole wheat bread cubes and grapes.
- Cherry tomatoes with fresh cheese cubes and whole wheat bread cubes
- Pipe bread with hummus (chickpea pate).
- Lentil and walnut pâté sandwich with cucumber and carrot slices.
- Cheese sandwich, tomato slices and oregano.
- Tofu, tempeh, seaman or vegan cheese sandwich with tomato spread and spinach leaves.
FOOD ALTERNATIVES TO CELEBRATE A VEGETARIAN CHILDREN PARTY
A good strategy so that the “banquet” of a children”s party is not based exclusively on unhealthy foods (sweets, cold cuts, salty snacks, sugary drinks, etc.). Actually, we should offer healthier options.
Whenever possible, it is preferable to make the pastries at home, to be able to choose the healthiest ingredients and quantities. For example:
- Use oil instead of butter.
- Use whole wheat flour or mix instead of white.
- Reduce the sugar in sweet recipes to a third.
- Use herbs and spices to enhance the flavor of the dishes (vanilla, cinnamon, anise, orange or lemon zest, etc.).
In addition, to make food more attractive and fun, they can be decorated giving a personal touch, giving different shapes to sandwiches, fruits and vegetables or decorating some preparations with cinnamon powder, mint leaves, almond slices, raisins, wedges or fruit slices, crushed nuts, etc.
Some food ideas to offer at ovolacteo vegetarian children”s parties:
- To drink: water, flavored waters, fresh fruit smoothies or slushes, gazpachos (watermelon and tomato, cherry, beet, etc.), milk or vegetable drinks, etc.
- To eat: whole fresh fruit, sliced, cut into bowls, on skewers, in sorbet; vegetable, vegetable and cheese, fruit and cheese skewers; mini-sandwiches or sandwiches made of whole wheat bread and with a healthy filling; vegetable pates (hummus type) or fresh cheese, guacamole with breadsticks or vegetable crudités; tortillas (potato, potato and onion, zucchini, etc.); homemade pizza and cocas; etc.
- For the time of the cake: sponge cake or homemade cake.
CULINARY IDEAS FOR A PICNIC WITH A VEGETARIAN CHILD
For whatever the dietary pattern, the same tips are used in order to make the picnic a tasty, fun and healthy meal. There are many options suitable for your backpack or cooler, such as:
- Let”s leave out sugary drinks and juices, which only provide empty calories.
- Fresh fruit not very ripe to endure the trip.
- Dried fruit: dried apricots, raisins, prunes, etc.
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.
- Sandwiches or sandwiches with whole wheat bread: wheat, seeds, cereals, etc., and with a healthy filling based on vegetables (lettuce, spinach, tomato slices, grilled aubergine, avocado, etc.), cream of nuts, cheese, omelette, hummus, tofu, tempeh, seitan) and virgin olive oil.
- Lunch boxes with legumes (pasta, rice, etc.)cooked with vegetables.
- Bread sticks,
- Empanadas or dumplings filled with vegetables, nuts and / or legumes.
About The Author
VirallyMedia Editorial Staff
Our team of expert writers and researchers are dedicated to bringing you the latest trends, news, and best practices in various fields, including but not limited to business, technology, health, lifestyle, entertainment, and more. We strive to create informative and engaging content that is easy to understand and relevant to your needs.